In Unit 1 we are introduced to the following topics:
1. First Declension Nouns (long -α and -η)
2. Second Declension Nouns (e.g. λόγος, δῶρον)
3. The article (ὁ, ἡ, τό)
4. Word order
5. Attributive position
1. ὁ Ὅμηρος τὸν ἄνθρωπον παιδεύει.
Homer educates (OR: is educating) the man.
2. ὁ Ὁμήρου ἀδελφὸς παιδεύει τὸν ἄνθρωπον.
Homer’s brother educates (OR: is educating) the man.
3. τὸν Ὅμηρον παιδεύει ὁ ἄνθρωπος.
The man educates (OR: is educating) Homer.
4. Ὅμηρος τοὺς ἀνθρώπους παιδεύει.
Homer educates (OR: is educating) the men.
5. Ὅμηρος τοὺς ἀνθρώπους ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ παιδεύει.
Homer educates (OR: is educating) the men in the market place.
6. ὁ ἀδελφὸς τοῦ Ὁμήρου παιδεύει τοὺς ἀνθρώπους τοὺς ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ.
Homer’s brother educates the men, (the ones) in the market place.
7. ἐν ταῖς ἀγοραῖς τὰς τῶν ἀνθρώπων ψυχὰς ὁ Ὅμηρος τοῖς βιβλίοις παιδεύει.
In the market places, Homer educates men’s souls with books. (by means of)
8. ὁ θεὸς δῶρον τῷ Ὁμήρου ἀδελφῷ πέμπει εἰς τὴν χώραν.
The god sends a gift to the brother of Homer in the country.
9. ὦ Ὅμηρε, ἡ θεὸς τοῖς ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ ἀνθρώποις δῶρα πέμπει.
Homer, the goddess sends gifts to the men in the country.
10. τὰ τῶν θεῶν δῶρα πέμπει ὁ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἀδελφὸς ἐκ τῆς οἰκίας εἰς τὰς νήσους.
The man’s brother is sending the gifts of the gods out of the house to the islands.
11. ὁ ἐν τῇ νήσῳ ἄνθρωπος τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς εἰς μάχην πέμπει.
The man on the island is sending (his) brothers into battle.
12. ὁ ἀδελφὸς ὁ Ὁμήρου βιβλίον ἐκ τῆς ἀγορᾶς εἰς τὴν νῆσον πέμπει.
Homer’s brother is sending a book from the market place to the island.
13. ὁ ἀδελφὸς δῶρα, τὰ βιβλία τὰ τοῦ Ὁμήρου, πέμπει εἰς τὰς τῶν ἀνθρώπων οἰκίας.
The brother sends gifts, the books of Homer, into the houses of men.
14. ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ ὁ ἄνθρωπος τὸν ἀδελφὸν λόγῳ καὶ ἔργῳ παιδεύει.
The man teaches (his) brother by word and deed in the house.
15. ὁ ἄνθρωπος τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς καὶ λόγῳ καὶ ἔργῳ παιδεύει.
The man teaches (his) brothers by both word and deed.
16. ὦ ἄδελφε, καὶ ἐν μάχῃ ὁ θεὸς τοὺς ἀνθρώπους, τοὺς τοῦ Ὁμήρου ἀδελφούς, παιδεύει.
Brother, even in battle, god teaches the men – the brothers of Homer.
17. ὦ θεοί, τοῖς λόγοις παιδεύει ὁ Ὅμηρος τοὺς ἀνθρώπους τοὺς ἐν ταῖς ὁδοῖς.
Gods, Homer teaches the men on the roads with his stories.
18. τῆ ὁδῷ τῇ ἐξ ἀγορᾶς εἰς τὴν χώραν πέμπει Ὅμηρος τὰ τοῖς ἀνθρώποις δῶρα.
Homer sends the gifts for the men into the country by the road from the market place.
19. τέχνῃ καὶ τὸν ἀδελφὸν παιδεύει ὁ Ὅμηρος.
Homer teaches even (his) brother by art.
20. ἐν τῇ τέχνῃ τὸν ἀδελφὸν βιβλίῳ παιδεύει ὁ Ὅμηρος.
Homer teaches (his) brother in the art by a book.
21. ὁ Ὅμηρος βιβλίοις παιδεύει τὸν ἀδελφὸν τὴν τέχνην.
Homer teaches (his) brother the art by books.
22. ὁ θεὸς λόγους εἰς τὰς τῶν ἀνθρώπων ψυχὰς πέμπει.
The god sends words into the souls of men.
1. The god educates the men.
ὁ θεὸς τοὺς ἀνθρώπους παιδεύει.
2. The man sends Homer’s brother to the market place.
ὁ ἄνθρωπος τὸν τοῦ Ὁμήρου ἀδελφὸν πέμπει εἰς τὴν ἀγοράν.
3. Man, Homer’s brother sends to the gods a gift from the island.
ὦ ἄνθρωπε, ὁ τοῦ Ὁμήρου ἀδελφὸς δῶρον τοῖς θεοῖς πέμπει ἐκ τῆς νήσου.
4. With his stories Homer educates his brothers on the islands.
τοῖς λόγοις ὁ Ὅμηρος παιδεύει τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς ἐν ταῖς νήσοις.